MAXIXM -  I think here I need a paragraph of introduction  saying....

 we specialise in high volume residential releases, efficient solutions for high density projects, apartment blocks, 

 When coordinating a project for his previous employer on a master planned development Zoltan recommended a few amendments to their BASIX commitments which were successfully implemented  and saved the client over a million dollars.

Without our expertise you can fall victim to over omitting your sustainability requirements adding thousands of unnecessary dollars to your project. (this bit sounds bad but I want to portray this message in a better way).

We will take the time to get it right and work with you to ensure your commitments are suited to your development and budget. 

Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme (NatHERS)

The Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme (NatHERS) is a national framework for the purpose of regulating how Australian homes are rated for their thermal performance.

We begin by modelling your project in a NATHERS approved software which then gives a star rating for thermal performance. A NatHERS Certificate (sometimes known as ABSA Certificate) is generated showcasing the start rating and can be used for marketing or resale of your development. This process of NatHERS assessment and its outputs form a critical part in generating a BASIX Certificate and together form the sustainability requirements of your development.

A NatHERS Certificate is not needed for alterations and additions or new pools.


BASIX is assessed online using the BASIX assessment tool. The tool checks elements of a proposed design against sustainability targets. 

BASIX reduces water and energy consumption in homes across NSW. These environmental outcomes also provide a long term financial saving for the homeowner – and a valuable contribution to the sustainable future of our communities. 

A BASIX Certificate forms a compulsory part of your Development Application and is needed for:

-  Alterations & additions over $50,000,

- Pools with a volume greater then 40,000 litres

- New dwellings, duplexes,townhouses and residential flat buildings.


NatHERS & BASIX Design Principals

There are a few key considerations during the design process that will help get your project across the line for a good outcome during the assessment process.

Eaves, shading, insulation and other simple design features are making a welcome comeback. These are the common things that can be considered during the design process to avoid solutions that will be more of an afterthought to achieve a good result. e.g. tacked on shading devises to poorly orientated windows.

·          rainwater tanks, plumbed to toilet, garden and/or laundry;

·          efficient (3A-5A) showerheads, toilets, tap fittings,

·          use of indigenous garden species,

·          grey water system where appropriate,

·          solar, heat pump or high efficiency gas hot water systems

·         efficient pool heating and pumps

·          good solar orientation

·          cross ventilation

·          insulation

·          external shading

·          performance glazing for large glazed areas and/or poorly oriented areas

·          ceiling fans, evaporative coolers or high efficiency air conditioning

·          energy efficient lighting

·          alternative energy systems such as photovoltaics.


1.       Do I need a BASIX Certificate with my Development Application for an extension?

Yes. As of the 1st July 2007, all new alterations with a value higher than $50,000 will require a BASIX Certificate.

 2.       Do I need a BASIX Certificate for a new pool?

Yes. As of the 1st July 2007, all new spas and pools with a volume higher than 40,000 litres will require a BASIX Certificate.

 3.       Do I have to pay extra if I want to make changes to the BASIX Certificate?

Yes, In order to amend a certificate a new one has to be generated and possibly even a new Energy efficiency Certificate (ABSA Certificate). The principal certifying officer at your council will need to be notified. Should this need to occur we are happy to provide a price upfront on request.

 4.       When do I need to get a BASIX Certificate?

You should get your BASIX Certificate after your plans have been drawn and before submitting your Development Application (DA) to Council. Council will need the Certificate in order to process your DA.











Colour NatHERS Logo for Print and Web.jpg
Did you know household water consumption is approximately 150 litres per person per day?
Did you know Households account for about a third of the electricity used in NSW; the average home creating 160,000 balloons of carbon pollution a year.